Appeals & Grievance Coordinator
Location: Orange, California US
Job Number: 1596
Position Title: Appeals & Grievance Coordinator
Alignment Healthcare is seeking a responsible, organized, and detail-oriented appeals & grievance coordinator who is passionate about customer service to be responsible for day to day functions of the tracking and trending of all appeals, grievances, and complaints received within the member services department. As the appeals & grievance coordinator, you will act as the primary investigator and point of contact for member and provider appeals and grievances
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(May include but are not limited to)
- Acknowledge receipt of all appeal / grievance, and CTM (Complaint Tracking Module.)
- Gather all pertinent and relevant information from members and / or providers regarding the appeal / grievance, determine appropriate resolution of the appeal / grievance per standard policies and procedures; and notify the appropriate parties of the resolution and ensure that all internal processes are completed to resolve the issue.
- Compose written correspondence to members in accordance to plan policy and CMS Guidelines.
- Conduct non-biased, accurate, timely, and comprehensive investigation of all the facts related to the appeal / grievance.
- Thoroughly document all action taken on behalf of the member or provider to resolve the appeal / grievance.
- Ensure that all appeals / grievances are processed in adherence to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) guidelines and plan policy.
- Prepare case files for medical director review and external (including IRE) review of appeals / grievances as appropriate.
- Prepare clear, objective, accurate, and comprehensive case histories for presentation and consideration at committee meetings (including Board of Directors).
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation, including complete files of all appeals / grievances.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports as requested.
- Identify training opportunities and potential system and process improvements relating to appeal / grievance data.
- Participate in periodic review and update of appeal / grievance policies and procedures to reflect appropriate legal and CMS requirements as well as participate in periodic CMS Audit preparations and regulator meetings / interviews.
- Maintain a positive and professional relationship with plan staff, providers, members, and regulators.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and / or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and / or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to two years of related experience and / or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: None required.
- Other Qualifications:
- Knowledge of Medi-Cal or Medicare Managed Care Plans.
- Three to five years customer service experience.
- Two to three years of Appeals & Grievance preferred.
- Bi-lingual (English / Spanish) preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Language skills: Able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Able to write routine reports and correspondence. Able to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Mathematical skills: Able to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Able to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
- Reasoning skills: Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions. Able to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer skills: Strong computer skills.
- Other skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good telephone techniques
- Excellent data entry
- Strong organizational skills
- Type 40+ words per minute
- Experience with 10-key by touch.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to walk; stand; reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and / or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Location City: Orange
Location State: California
Community / Marketing Title: Appeals & Grievance Coordinator
Who is Alignment Healthcare?
- Socially responsible
- Technologically enabled
- Concierge care
- Servant leadership
We are dedicated to transforming the complex and confusing process of medical treatment in the United States so that every link in the health care continuum becomes more efficient, productive, and effective. We built a team of people who want to make a difference. Come join the team that is changing health care one person at a time.
We believe that great work comes from people who are inspired to be their best. We invite you to explore our wide variety of roles based on your unique experience.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Alignment Healthcare, LLC is proud to practice Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action. We are looking for diversity in qualified candidates for employment: Minority/Female/Disable/Protected Veteran.
If you require any reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in completing the online application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.